Archive | DIY RSS feed for this section

Caster Specialists

26 Dec

 

Caster Specialists – Hardwood Floor, Furniture, Small Casters and More | Caster Specialists.

|BLOG| Refreshing the front steps @ We Heart Minnesota

21 Jul

Here is a great HOW TO on fixing concrete steps, which is on my list, not very close to the top but on there somewhere.

Also,  he does this great blog http://makesomethingcreativetoday.com which I would super like the idea of.

 

 

 

 

Refreshing the Front Steps | We Heart Minnesota.

|DIY-Able| Larder Shelves from Canvas

4 May

Larder Sheves from Canvas. Click image to link to their site.

This is a great shelf and I instantly thought of putting it next to the toilet in the newly revamped bathroom, but at $340 there is no way.  This is more then DIY-able.

|FLOOR|me

3 May

The bathroom floor is tiled!!!!  I still need to grout and seal so its not pretty yet, but here is a quick phone pic. A few baby tiles to go, grout, baseboard, and some touch-up paint and its good to go!

No more concrete floor!

|TOILING| and Tiling

29 Apr

FINALLY!!! Monday morning I showered in my brand new SHOWER!!!  Here is the rest of the process from about two weeks ago when I officially removed forever the old shower pan and got down to business.

Kerdi pan and Kerdi curb installed

100% Kerdi Membrane-ed!!!

Starting to tile!!

Neena's Wall.

Harrison and I loooove tile.

Wet saw master.

Wall hugger Rachel grouting.

Double team grout action.

And more grouting. This was the worst part. Or the best workout...

The finished product!!! a few more tiles to add, but I ran short on ones with a finished end. Next THE FLOOR!! And someday, a door.

|DIY| Screen Door

28 Apr

|PHASE 2.5| Unfortunate Unforeseen Water Abatement Project

10 Mar

Ready for concrete.

Water, from what we decided is a seasonally high water table, made it necessary to do some backtracking almost 2 months into the project.  After all the studs were up, water starting creeping out of the walls until about half of the previously bone-dry floor was soggy.  Dealing with this added about $1000 in materials to my spending (which includes the pump and an air compressor used to break up the cement).  To compensate in my budget, I knocked the radiant floor heating off the plan.

Completed Tasks

  • Hydrolic cemented all active water leaks in the wall
  • Covered lower wall with metal lathe
  • Re-cemented walls where needed
  • coated with Dry-lock
  • Dug trench the length of the bathroom wall
  • Dug Sump pit
  • Installed “french drain” pipe to new pit
  • Covered trench with rock and cement leaving weeping gap
  • Installed sump pump, drained to sewer pipe

Then of course I had to put back all of the framing I had removed along the wall to get back to where I started.

 

Breaking up concrete for the french drain. The pit came first, and it did collect a good amount of water, but you can see the floor is still wet in there.

Ready for rock and pipe

I'm actually making sure its NOT level. The pipe has to angle a 1/4 inch-ish per foot towards the sump pit.

TEST RUN! We thought we'd get the satisfaction of water gushing out the other end, but realized afterward that the pipe is only meant to be there for lots of water flowing. So we would have had to flood the thing to get it to work. Anyway, notice to the left of the trench is bone dry, and to the right is wet. This was pre-cementing.

Thanks to Harrison for the photos and for volunteering to bust up concrete by hand and dig in some questionable mud!

|PHASE 2| NEW CONSTRUCTION

9 Mar

The funky around the sewer pipe framing.

Completed tasks.

  • Re-framed all walls (mix of metal and wood where needed for structure)
  • Reinforced framing for new wall hung sink
  • Framed out new shower
  • Ran new wiring to lights and add new GFI protected circuit for outlets
  • Ran all new PEX plumbing
  • Installed new Exhaust Fan and vented to exterior
  • Installed insulation and Vapor barrier
  • Installed mold resistant sheet rock on walls
  • Install Cement Board in shower
  • Taped, installed corner bead, Spackled and sanded to smooth finish
  • Installed tongue and grove wood ceiling

Starting to put things back.

My first header!! Over what will be the pocket door.

New studs, electric, water, gas, dryer vent and washer drain. Phew. Oddly, I sort of missed being able to see through walls when the drywall went up...


Photo by Harrison from the basement stairs. Putting things back.

|ON| The Fence: Before and After

2 Mar
Completed Fence

The Unfortunate Before.

The Fence in the back”yard” facing north.
Facing south

The Plan.

The Design Stage. Direct from my notebook.

More after shots.

Close up.

Close up version II

|PHASE 1| Demo

2 Mar

And it begins…

DEMO completed.

  • Demolished existing Sheetrock walls and ceiling
  • Removed existing studs, plumbing and electric
  • Removed existing Tile
  • Bagged and removed all the debris

Sadly, the rest of the demo pictures mysteriously disappeared so this is all I have.

UPDATE: I found another photo of some words of wisdom from "TOM THE MASTER" I found behind one of the walls