Archive | Renovation RSS feed for this section

|BLOG| Refreshing the front steps @ We Heart Minnesota

21 Jul

Here is a great HOW TO on fixing concrete steps, which is on my list, not very close to the top but on there somewhere.

Also,  he does this great blog http://makesomethingcreativetoday.com which I would super like the idea of.

 

 

 

 

Refreshing the Front Steps | We Heart Minnesota.

Advertisements

|DESIGN| Modern Swedish Family House @ housevaganza.com

30 Jun

In my quest for bedroom closet ideas, I stumbled onto this house tour which I LOVE.

Also, I just figured out what to image search for in google to get ideas for what I’d ideally like to do in my house.  A Built in Wardrobe!  This is huge.

Check out some pics from the inspirational house tour references below.  And see the full article here: Modern Swedish Family House Design | House Design and Furniture Ideas.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


|SHOP| Provenance

29 Jun

Last weekend I hit one my my favorite Philly spots, RESTORE, and the owner suggested I should try Provenance as well. Funny enough, its about 2 blocks from my house, but is hidden behind a taxi parking lot and I never knew it was there.

|FLOOR|me

3 May

The bathroom floor is tiled!!!!  I still need to grout and seal so its not pretty yet, but here is a quick phone pic. A few baby tiles to go, grout, baseboard, and some touch-up paint and its good to go!

No more concrete floor!

|TOILING| and Tiling

29 Apr

FINALLY!!! Monday morning I showered in my brand new SHOWER!!!  Here is the rest of the process from about two weeks ago when I officially removed forever the old shower pan and got down to business.

Kerdi pan and Kerdi curb installed

100% Kerdi Membrane-ed!!!

Starting to tile!!

Neena's Wall.

Harrison and I loooove tile.

Wet saw master.

Wall hugger Rachel grouting.

Double team grout action.

And more grouting. This was the worst part. Or the best workout...

The finished product!!! a few more tiles to add, but I ran short on ones with a finished end. Next THE FLOOR!! And someday, a door.

|DETAILS| Potential Renovation House

14 Apr

New construction to the West

New Construction to the East

Rotten window sills all need replacing in the front of the house.

More exterior work needed here.

Good Luck!

|RENO| vation?

13 Apr

Photos from a recent visit to a house in need of reno-vation on Reno St!  Interior shots coming soon.

|PHASE 5| Finishing touches

29 Mar

Almost there. Orange Kerdi membrane ready to go!

I’m doing as much of these PRE-TILE as possible to avoid tarps and tape on the brand new floor.  Not to mention, I’ll be bathroom-less during that process, so it’s possible I’m avoiding tile in general.

Completed Tasks.

  • Prime and paint
  • Fabricate and install cover for radiator pipe
  • Install crown  (ok this is only half finished)
  • Caulk where needed
  • Touch-ups
  • Install outlet and switch covers

Still To Do.

  • Fill brad holes in crown
  • Install moldings around door and cabinet
  • Install Baseboard after tile is in
  • The radiator pipe cover. Without this, the already low ceiling would have been 3 inches lower. Also, it came out looking pretty nice.

  • My Otis light.

    L to R. Main light and shower light, over the mirror light on a dimmer, Fan timer.

|CROWN| in the shower?

15 Mar

My initial thought on this was hell no.  But I think I may want to continue the crown into the shower area.  There are a couple of options.

Leave a few inches between tile and crown painted the same color as the rest of the bathroom walls (as shown below).  I’m not really finding any good examples of this photo wise, but apparently it’s done.

OR Tile all the wall up to the ceiling and crown right over it, I’ll have to do a bit of a funky transition where the tile ends since its in the middle of a wall.   I’m thinking that’s a transition I want to avoid visually, and also physically and mentally.

The Plan

|PHASE 2.5| Unfortunate Unforeseen Water Abatement Project

10 Mar

Ready for concrete.

Water, from what we decided is a seasonally high water table, made it necessary to do some backtracking almost 2 months into the project.  After all the studs were up, water starting creeping out of the walls until about half of the previously bone-dry floor was soggy.  Dealing with this added about $1000 in materials to my spending (which includes the pump and an air compressor used to break up the cement).  To compensate in my budget, I knocked the radiant floor heating off the plan.

Completed Tasks

  • Hydrolic cemented all active water leaks in the wall
  • Covered lower wall with metal lathe
  • Re-cemented walls where needed
  • coated with Dry-lock
  • Dug trench the length of the bathroom wall
  • Dug Sump pit
  • Installed “french drain” pipe to new pit
  • Covered trench with rock and cement leaving weeping gap
  • Installed sump pump, drained to sewer pipe

Then of course I had to put back all of the framing I had removed along the wall to get back to where I started.

 

Breaking up concrete for the french drain. The pit came first, and it did collect a good amount of water, but you can see the floor is still wet in there.

Ready for rock and pipe

I'm actually making sure its NOT level. The pipe has to angle a 1/4 inch-ish per foot towards the sump pit.

TEST RUN! We thought we'd get the satisfaction of water gushing out the other end, but realized afterward that the pipe is only meant to be there for lots of water flowing. So we would have had to flood the thing to get it to work. Anyway, notice to the left of the trench is bone dry, and to the right is wet. This was pre-cementing.

Thanks to Harrison for the photos and for volunteering to bust up concrete by hand and dig in some questionable mud!